Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Media Revelation #4

The fourth of my media revelations comes from the term "hypertext" which Hilliard uses in chapter 2 on page 46. Hilliard tells us that hypertext is a term used to refer to writing material for the Internet. Hilliard goes on to say that hypertext is closer to the way we think with various thoughts, ideas, and viewpoints rushing through our heads all at once. He argues that writing for the Internet gives us this ability, whereas writing for paper only allows us to write in a logical, linear fashion. Maybe it's because I have only minimal experience writing for the Internet, or because for almost every piece of writing I do, I do a pencil and paper draft first, but I find writing for the Internet just as logical and linear as any other type of writing. Though I can understand the concept of hypertext, especially after watching Michael Wesch's video Web 2.0: The Machine is Using Us, I still feel that any writing must be done in a logical order so that it makes sense to the reader, as well as to the writer.

No comments:

Post a Comment